Friday 19 November 2010

Serious basics.. making a pompom! :-)

I really am starting from the very beginning. I admit I did do a Textiles A level, but I have never touched any of these crafts, everything is a first. 

This is embarrassingly simple. I was deprived as a child of making pompoms at Brownies, I never knew it was so easy. This gives me hope that all is not lost! Even just making a pompom has inspired me, I technically have 30-ish% of a hat, right? It makes me want to make everything myself, the sense of achievement was ridiculously huge. If you also would like to own 30-ish% of a hat, read on.

Firstly cut two identical circles out of a cereal box, with a circle cut from the centre. Then cut through the circle into the centre, so you have a little gap. Like so..



I'm sorry I'm so very rubbish at explaining how to do things, but I promise I'll try and get better as I go along!
You can see a little v-shape cut out, which will help with the next step.
Put the end of your wool through the small inner hole and hold the tail down at the back.
Start looping the wool around the donut shape, the v-shape makes it much easier to get the wool through!


When the inner hole has disappeared, cut the wool away from the ball.
 This is the really fun bit, cut around the circle, between the two pieces of card, so you can pull them apart a little.

It should end up looking like this.


Then take a length of wool and tie a really, really tight knot between the two cardboard circles.


Then just pull the cardboard off and trim the pompom to your taste!


You can brush the wool with a wire brush so it's more of a fluff ball, which I think looks best. I just havent't acquired a wire brush at uni yet!

Sorry if this has been even remotely patronising, but I want to leave no stone unturned!

Happy pompoms!





No comments:

Post a Comment