Tuesday 19 July 2011

Some more David Nicholls..

My last post was about all the things I had been managing to fill all my very spare time with. Cast your minds back; I wrote about a book I'd recently read, One Day by David Nicholls. I've since learned it's been made into a film, which I absolutely LOVE the sound of. Anne Hathaway is playing Emma, which I was slightly dubious about when I first heard, but I'm coming round to it. I think Anne Hathaway is so adaptable and I'm sure she'll bring a whole new element to the character that I never even read into. Jim Sturgess plays Dexter; I don't really have anything to say on this as I have absolutely NO idea who he is. Apologies if this is awfully ignorant. I think I like that I don't know who he is though, no preconceived notions of dislike or such.

So here's the crux, the whole reason for this post, which is supposed to have nothing to do with One Day. I've just finished reading Nicholls' The Understudy. Seeing the familiar style of the front cover and Nicholls' name perched neatly in WHSmith sealed the deal for me. The story follows the journey of Stephen McQueen, destined to play 'Dead Man' forever more, and Josh Harper, of whose wife, Nora, Stephen falls desperately in love with. Calamitous consequences.


I would recommend this book to anyone, actor or not; it's far less intense than One Day, whimsical you might say. And incredibly funny. As someone who has played an understudy, as I'm sure many have, and from someone attempting to navigate their way through the acting world, this book is hugely reassuring in that I'm not missing much; there is a strong chance the rest of my life will remain in much the same vein. As the Stephen C. McQueen so eloquently phrases it, fanTAStic.

No comments:

Post a Comment