Friday 15 April 2011

A little light reading..

When I almost certainly should be writing my dissertation, (there are but three weeks until the deadline) I am writing you a book review.


I know that not a lot of people are into the cheerleader thing, so I'm telling you about Cheer! Inside the Secret World of College Cheerleaders by Kate Torgovnick, because I don't think it can fail in converting you.
I'm aware that it sounds incredibly pre-teen and a little bit Sleepover Club and, at first glance, it looks a bit like that too. But I absolutely promise that for someone completely unaware of the cheerleading world, this book is so informative and fascinating. 

It follows three American college squads in a year; they face try-outs, practices, injuries and national competitions. Having had the most annoying, painful and recurring injury EVER, I found the injuries part particularly juicy.
It's really interesting to compare cheerleading in America to here, people choose which university to go to over there depending on their cheerleading squad, and winning really matters to them. 
The book is SO insightful and written in such a way that you instantly warm to the cheerleaders, they are all completely likeable, something that will hopefully start to dispel the stereotype!

So, if you're looking for something different to read and want a glimpse into a world you never knew existed, you should definitely read Cheer.
Get it here.




No comments:

Post a Comment