Tuesday 26 April 2011

Recycling!

 I always have a real issue deciding what to wear. Ask anyone, my sisters, my mum, my housemates, they'll all agree. This morning was a particularly bad example. I don't think anyone quite knows what to wear at this time of year; it's so hot in the sun, but I live by the sea and the breeze makes it unbearably cold in the shade and in the evenings. So I tend to wear a summery top, jeans and have a handy hoody. Until Summer, when I crack the shorts out. So, this morning I had one of those 'I-don't-have-any-clothes' moments. I was digging through my wardrobe and all my drawers and I was SO bored of everything and actually didn't really like a lot of it. 

And then I found this!


 I bought this when I was about 15 in H&M, which was definitely ages ago. The only reason it still fits is because it's 95% elastic.. It's not, but it may as well be. Anyway. I think it's suitably frumpy. It's too long, shapeless, and a little bit see-through, so can't be worn for much other than the beach.

HOWEVER. I have carried out my first alterations! I definitely haven't done it how it's supposed to be done and I'm not sure whether it's success is all a massive fluke, but we shall see...

I literally just chopped off the bottom and hemmed it. I put it on and measured how long I wanted it to be. (I had to be extra careful not to lean forward at all so that it was accurate). I started to measure at regular intervals and put little pin markers in, but there is SO much fabric because of the gathering at the chest that it all got a little confusing, and I have to admit to just going at it with the scissors without much more measuring. I managed to cut it in a straight line by using the straight line of the hem as a guide. If anyone can reveal how this might be done with a little more finesse, please do fill me in.



 I'm so proud. :-) I feel like it's a completely new top, like I've been shopping. Only for free! I'm going to wear it so much more and it's not taking up unnecessary space in my drawers. I feel quite the sense of achievement!

I want to make something with all the left over fabric.. any ideas? I think it may just end up going into some sort of cushion cover or blanket..


Until the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment