Monday 21 November 2011

In which I make a peg bag..




I had finished making a doorstop the other day and my sewing hunger had just not been sated, when I glanced up at the rattiest, oldest, most threadbare peg bag you have ever seen. Inspiration had struck. I knocked up a new peg bag which now hangs on the door and looks very at home in our kitchen. 

I used the remains of the oilcloth that I used for my doorstops. Now this fabric is fast becoming my least favourite ever. I love how it looks when it's finished, but it's hideously difficult to work with you. I sewed the strap inside out, which in theory makes the most sense, but this fabric sticks to itself like billy-o. This resulted in me, wait for it, pouring olive oil through the top to coat the whole handle to make it easier to turn it the right way round. This was messy. I don't know if it notices in the picture, but the strap is a very slightly different colour than the rest of the bag; olive oil stains. Who knew? So next time, I'm going to concoct some way of sewing the handle the right way round. 

I'm usually too impatient to handsew, but I handstitched the lining to the top of the bag (the visible bit) and I am SO happy with how it turned out, it looks very neat. Neater than I thought I was capable of. 

Making this was the most impromptu and fun piece of sewing, it really reminded me why I love making things. 

My mum said I should make one for my Grandma for Christmas... Does anyone else think that a peg bag is a bit of an insulting gift? I think maybe it could be just a little extra..

1 comment: