Tuesday 15 November 2011

It's a doorstop-y kind of day..

I decided a few weeks ago, in a fit of boredom directed at the retail industry, to handmake ALL of my Christmas gifts. I've always intended to do this, but either never had enough time or enough inspiration. Since I started this blog I have discovered so many crafters who blog their beautiful creations, and it really does make the stitching fingers itch.. Seeing all these beautiful and simple, yet clever, ideas, is so inspiring.

One such blog is Flossie Teacakes, a blog that is full of lovely, handmade goodness. There is a lot of rather complex crafting going on over there, of a standard I most definitely aspire to. There is even a post on how to build your own pizza oven, which I particularly loved. I've haven't yet discussed this with my boyfriend, but when we grow up, we're having a pizza oven.

I spotted Florence's doorstop pattern a few months back and have found the perfect opportunity to make some for some Christmas gifts. I won't go into too much detail in case of little prying internet eyes, but there are two very special people living temporarily with some very heavy fire doors. Thus, the doorstop was born. I purchased the pattern this morning and come evening, I have a doorstop! I love things that I can see taking shape quickly, as I have mentioned countless times before. Because of this I have a tendency to rush things and not take enough care, but not today! I really want these to look profesh, so I measured and then measured again.


The pattern itself is so beautifully presented and easy to follow, with a lovely little personal note at the beginning! It made making the doorstop feel all the more special! There are step-by-step instructions with a picture to match that makes it exceptionally difficult to make a mistake. It really is a very well constructed pattern.


I think I've used a particularly difficult fabric to construct mine; I used a very thick oilcloth that stuck to itself when I tried to turn it the right way round or move it in any way. I'm not sure that I like the shiny effect either..


The print is absolutely PERFECT for it's intended receiver, it reminds me of a print from that well known high street retailer that spews floral print on everything. In a good way.



It feels so satisfying to know that I've made this for someone to open at Christmas, knowing that they'll love it. I've given my local fabric shop a little more business, at a time when large companies are struggling in my town, let alone small, independent businesses. And it feels good to support a blogger in this way too.
I've filled it with dried marrowfat peas, as they were the heaviest thing I could find. I'm not sure if that's a good idea, but I'm sure we'll find out in a year or so...

So, that's two Christmas presents down, many more to go. Inspiration welcome! And thank you Flossie Teacakes!

Is anyone else giving any deliciously handmade gifts this year?

1 comment:

  1. It's gorgeous and I'm hugely impressed that you did it will oilcloth too as its such a troublesome fabric to sew with. Im so pleased you liked the pattern.

    ReplyDelete