Sunday 9 October 2011

An ode to Mary Berry..

During a fit of late night impulse purchasing last week, I became the proud owner of this...


I was in Asda at about 10pm, you may ask what on earth possessed me to be in there at all, let alone at 10pm.. I was looking for Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals. Which they didn't have. On a complete tangent, I cooked this the other night, and it was incredible. SO easy and absolutely delicious. I never thought I'd be able to cook anything as complex as this, hence my search for the 30 Minute Meals book. It's literally a miracle.

Back to Ms Berry. In Asda, when I was not finding Jamie's book, I happened to chance upon the Great British Bake Off book! I'd only watched the final the night before so was so surprised to see this. Asda has it for only £10, so I thought it was rude to refuse. 

The book is absolutely beautiful. The recipes are laid out perfectly, with a picture for each step and whole page pictures for the technical bakes. All the technical challenges from the competition are in there, along with some of the bakers own creations. Highlights include Mary Berry's coffee and walnut battenburg and some absolutely gorgeous summery tarts. Along with the BBC's Great British Bake Off Masterclasses on iPlayer, this is surely failsafe?
We can only wait and see. I have two days off in a row now, so I'm planning to attack the Battenburg tomorrow, armed with Mary Berry talking me through it via my iPad. I'll try and post some pictures when I've done it, but if it's hideous then I completely refuse. I fear that mine may end up looking slightly, hearty, if you will. Not as neat and delicate as it possibly should. 

Let me know if you bake anything from it, we can have our own bloggy bake-off. :-)
Happy Baking!

1 comment:

  1. Will be picking this up ASAP! Good luck with the Battenburg!
    x

    ReplyDelete