Sunday 8 April 2012

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter Sunday everyone! I've just got back from a super long walk along the beach with my family, which involved a lovely cold can of Coca Cola, as Lent is over today! A happy day for all, I'm sure you'll agree. I hope everyone else has had equally lovely days.

I always get super excited for Easter Sunday; my boyfriend always gets me the coolest most original egg. He is simply marvellous at sourcing gifts. We've given each other an Easter egg every year since we met, I have no idea why - it's just something we started and then never stopped. And it would be weird if we stopped now. This year I wanted to do something extra different. I'd been doing a little casual egg browsing and was wholly unimpressed by this years offerings! The only thing I could potentially have gone for was a Hotel Chocolat treat, but at a minimum of £25 each, I thought they were a little steep. 

In a stroke of genius when I was at work one night, I decided to papier mache a giant egg and fill it with all of David's favourite chocolates. I knew he would love it and it was super thoughtful. And so my adventure began in the confectionary aisle of the supermarket...


Then I papier mached a giant balloon! In hindsight, it is slightly too big and doesn't have enough layers to be quite strong enough.. I am a HUGE perfectionist. And I tell you, it's a curse. When I painted it, it went all floppy again, so I declared a state of emergency and put it in the oven to dry out. Which would have worked a treat, had it not warped the shape of one of the halves so they didn't fit together anymore. Fear not, copious amounts of sellotape later, the egg is whole. And full of lots of yummy goodies that will probably last Dave the whole year. 


I can't even explain how excited I am to give this to Dave, I think it's the best thing I've ever made for him. Here is the finished article...

So proud!
I'm going to have to tell him that once it's opened, it sure isn't going back together again. So maybe take it home and show it off before he cracks it open. Because it's fairly unimpressive without the ribbon, plus some sellotape and in two halves!

Hope everyone has had a lovely extra long weekend, roast dinners all round. :-)

2 comments:

  1. That egg is just amazing! I've been doing those balloon things at work (I work at a preschool), but I never thought about making Easter eggs out of them! :) Awesome!

    ReplyDelete