Thursday 6 January 2011

First square? Check.

I've completed a patchwork square! (Is that what you call it?)


 I used the little kit that my Granny gave me, and once I'd worked out that there were little numbers on all the templates, it was plain sailing! Until then, almighty confusion.

 So usually I'm a big fan of rushing into something without preparing, because I just get so excited, and it usually goes wrong. Granny's one bit of advice, though, was 'accuracy is everything!' So I really took my time with drawing out all the pieces, painstakingly measuring 6mm seam allowances before cutting anything, and ironing every single piece before I touched a needle. I really didn't want this to go wrong!

Also, I think there is some sort of special pencil I should be using to draw around the templates, I just used a normal HB pencil and it didn't work so well. If anyone could let me know, that would be just swell. :-)

I did use a machine, I'm not sure if all the hard-core patchworkers would call this cheating, but I was way too impatient, and wanted to see the end result straight away! I must try to curb this detrimental enthusiasm.


 I don't have a sewing machine at university, so when I get back to London, it will be hand sewing all the way!
I plan to make all the designs in the little booklet, and then stitch them all into a large blanket.
Will probably have to get some help on that one, as I have no idea where to even begin!

Happy stitching! :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment