Friday 21 January 2011

Post-essay helplessness..

After a big essay deadline, I always tend to feel a little lost; I have nothing pressing and urgent to do, but lots of things that I could, or would like, to do.
The result of this is not at all knowing what to do with myself. This blog post is a bit like that, really. I'm desperately trying to find something constructive to do!

I have massively taken advantage this week of having no reading to do for any of my classes, and have actually read for pleasure! I grabbed the first book I saw as I was leaving the house for uni last week, which happened to be Nicholas Sparks' Dear John



I'm always a little sceptical of books that have been turned into generic chick-flicks. Saying that, I read Ps. I love you and enjoyed it so much. I tried to watch the film but found I really couldn't engage with it. I feel very separate from films, and can get so much more into a book.

Ok, so Dear John. My housemate has told me time and time again that it is a terribly written book and is rubbish rubbish rubbish. This is the housemate whose room I crashed at midnight when I finished the book, sobbing. I enjoyed it SO much, I think Nicholas Sparks is very good at establishing relationships between his characters, and with a book like this (which I will admit, really doesn't require a lot of thought) is so important. And that is why I was so upset by the end. I can't stop thinking about the characters today, it's like they're real people. I watched the film afterwards, but again, just couldn't get into it - the characters in the film had absolutely no depth. My over-active imagination is all for the books.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations?

ps. I reallyyyy hate when a book gets made into a film, then the only copy of the book you can buy anywhere has the film poster as the cover. I hate that.


Image credit: Google images.

No comments:

Post a Comment